Friday, May 7, 2010

Pine-Sol®

The Facts
Pine-Sol Cleaner, Original 28 fl oz (1.75 pt) 828 ml

  • Active ingredients: Pine oil, Alkyl alcohol ethoxylates, Isopropyl alcohol, Sodium petroleum sulfonate.
  • All other ingredients, which make up more than 90% of the product are not listed on the bottle, the manufacturers website, or anywhere else as far as I can tell.
  • None of the ingredients are on the IARC, OSHA, or NTP carcinogen lists.
  • Distributed by Clorox Sales Company
  • Comes in various sizes, as well as scents.

Ok, who doesn’t know the name Pine-Sol®? It has been around a lot longer than I have. Original Pine-Sol® is what I am covering here; I will touch very lightly on the other scents. The main ingredient in Pine-Sol is pine oil, which has similar attributes to tea tree oil.

A word of caution: Some essential oils, including pine and tea tree oil, can be toxic to cats. Read more about it here: The Lavender Cat

I would advise caution when using products that contain essential oils, including aromatherapy oils if you have cats in your home.

Original Pine-Sol® is an anti-bacterial, but only in full strength. If diluted it loses those anti-bacterial properties. I have only ever used Pine-Sol® as a floor cleaner, but it can be used on many surfaces, it can even be used on clothes. For me the pine scent has always given me a headache. Someone once told me that my headaches might be due to a mild allergy to pine, but I have never had a doctor confirm it.

As a floor cleaner, Pine-Sol® gets the job done and works well on tough grease spots if it is in higher concentrations. Handy for cleaning those grease spots on the wall behind the stove. It’s an effective cleanser as well as inexpensive.

For those of you who are interested in the other scents, they are also effective cleaning agents. They do no, however, have the same anti-bacterial properties as the original.

The only problem I have with Pine-Sol® (besides the headache) is not knowing what else is in it. I personally prefer to know everything in the cleaning products I am using simply because there might be something in there that I or someone else in my family could be allergic to.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I Love PineSol However, I Recently Used It To Clean My Shower, I Climbed In Barefooted, And Used It Quite Liberally. I Have Been Suffering From Blisters All Over My Toes Since. I Am Alergic To Tea Tree Oil.I Would Love To Know If I'm Also Alergic To Pine Oil Or Pine Sol Contains TeA Tree Oil. They Really Should Need To Lable All The Ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the original pine sol years ago had a wonderful scent...now its just the same as any other pine products...i use to love it...now i am searching for something much better the way it use to be.

    ReplyDelete